I do all the mistakes so you don’t have to do any! 😀 With this collection of hiking & camping tips and advice, you will prepare well for your next adventure!
The best way to learn how to hike and camp is to simply do it. But it might be also a good idea to learn from others. No matter if you are an experienced hiker or a total newbie to the whole thing: I am sure you will find something enlightening and useful among the posts I prepared. They are to help and to inspire, to make hiking easier and safer. Some of those tips I’ve learned myself the hard way, some – from others.
Hiking and camping are for all of us: old and young, extremely fit and those just getting up from a sofa. Get to know yourself, your limitations and your strengths. Learn a bit about the world of trekking in advance to make sure your adventures are as enjoyable and safe as possible.
This site is a work in progress: I will be adding more resources as I create them. Come back later to check for new additions!
Hit the trails, Sisters!
- Sometimes we might think that hiking isn’t for us. That we are too old, or too fat. Or that it’s not just something a woman alone should do. Or maybe being a mother or grandmother you have always put the needs of others ahead of yours. Especially for women it might be hard to break the stereotype, that being out there, by ourselves is more dangerous to us than to men, or maybe that we are “asking for it”, whatever the “it” might be. In this post, I share with you why I think a woman hiking by herself makes a pretty bold statement and might even be part of a very much needed revolution.
- Did I convince you? Great! But you might be still full of anxiety and worries about the whole “hiking solo” thing. Don’t worry – read this awesome list of 10 tips for women hiking solo and punch anxiety in its nose (as an anxiety disorder sufferer I wish it was that easy, though!)
- So, you want to do this! So you just open your doors and go! Well, not quite. The success of a hike starts much before you hit the trails. Learn here how to prepare and plan your next hike to ensure its success.
- The big ideas are all set. Your plans are made, budget planned and insurance bought. You have your clothes and gear… Did you forget about something? Don’t worry – check this list of 35 common hiking & camping mistakes to take care of all loose ends and make sure you don’t do it all wrong… 🙂
- It is very hard to start hiking right away with the best ultra-light gear. But gradually we can lighten up our load to speed up our hiking. What is even more important – thanks to lighter packs our joints and muscles are under less stress. In this guide for a gradual exchange of gear to go lightweight hiking, you will find all you need to GO LIGHT!
- It might be that you are just a beginner thinking of starting this “hiking” thing… great! Read about the essentials you need to pack for your day-long hike to ensure it’s an absolutely amazing experience!
- Are you trying to decide if you should buy a set of trekking poles or not? Read on why I think hiking with trekking poles will turn you into a hiking ninja!
- When I started to complete my hiking attire and gear and I was shocked with the prices. I could understand the price tag on a backpack or a tent… but such big $$$ for a t-shirt?! Well, but it was no ordinary t-shirt… it was a merino super-performing base layer! So I started to read on the benefits of merino wool, why cotton is never a good idea, what is the difference between merino and synthetics and share with you all the essential info on why merino is the best fabric for your base layer hiking attire.