Awesome Gift Ideas for Adventure Lovers!
Do you smell it in the air? Christmas and Hanukkah are coming!
Do you have any hikers, campers or travelers among your friends and family? Do you look for ideas that will really make them happy?
You found the perfect place!
I have searched the webs for Christmas gift ideas that every enthusiast of the Great Outdoors will appreciate!
I am sure you can find something here that fits your budget and your needs. Get inspired! Most of the items below are practical - because that's what we love!
Not another dust-collector on a shelf but really useful gadget or piece of hiking & camping equipment.
Btw - are you searching for more budget-friendly items? I am here to serve! Jump over here to find wonderful gift ideas for hikers and campers - all under $30!
The links in this post contain affiliate links, meaning if you purchase an item, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you, which helps me to run this free resource page. Thank you!
Christmas Gift Ideas: Hiking and Traveling Apparel
Hikers love their high-tech and merino clothes!
But they tend to get a bit expensive... no surprise then that we all would love to get some as a gift! If you know your recipient's size - go ahead and buy one of the hiking apparel below.
Let's begin with the classic, shall we? SOCKS.
But those are not your old sad and boring socks!
Those are beloved by all hikers lifesavers (well, foot savers to be precise!) - they provide the appropriate environment for the skin to make sure your hiker returns home blister-free and happy.
First of all - base layer.
Yes, there are layers in wearing socks :)
The first layer is the very thin liner which job is to make the feet dry. The second layer is a thicker mix of wools, often with merino wool as the main fiber.
I've been wearing those liners for all my hiking and I very rarely have any blisters - even after two weeks of daily trekking with a heavy backpack!
Get them here:
Now we can get to the many wonderful options for woolen socks.
Depends on the typical activity of your loved one, you can choose lighter or thicker, with more or less amortization, etc. I picked for you the ones I use the most - and love them!
I can guarantee - whichever you choose, you will make someone happy :)
Get them here:
- Bridgedale Women's Trail Light Socks
- Darn Tough Hiker Boot
- SmartWool Women's Mountaineering Extra Heavy Crew Socks
Now that we have the basics behind us, we can look at some great, warm base layer.
Especially during winter, you can make sure your loved ones don't freeze while hiking in the Great Outdoors!
This made for Outdoors apparel is not only warm but also breathable. Perfect for snowshoeing, hiking or lounging in front of the fire place!
It's time to make sure the lower body parts stay warm, too!
Those warm tights are perfect to be worn under hiking pants when hiking in cold weather or to serve as sleeping and lounging clothes for camp. You can find synthetic and merino tights - both are great ideas.
Get them here:
Let's get onto something a bit warmer!
The second layer is extremely important.
It should be comfortable, breathable and serve both as a jacket in warmer temperatures as well as mid-layer for colder.
There are so many options here!
Fleece jackets, down sweaters, insulated light jackets... Whatever you pick, it will find its use and make its new owner happy, you can trust me!
Get one here:
- Patagonia Down Sweater Hoody Jacket
- Rab Nucleus Jacket - Women's
- Rab Microlight Jacket
- The North Face Radium Hi-Loft Jacket Women's
- Patagonia R1 1/2-Zip Fleece Pullover
Haven't found what you were looking for? No problem - here are eight more from the hiking & camping apparel department :)
Christmas Gift Ideas: Hiking and Traveling Gear
Now that our loved one is not going to freeze out there, we need to take care of the gear. All hikers and campers are on a constant quest to upgrade their gear.
We all look for lighter or sturdier or more comfortable pieces.
Our gear gets some serious beating and needs to be replaced once in a while - so even if you get your friend something they already have, no worries. It will be used anyway, eventually!
I will not offer big hiking backpacks here, as that is quite an individual thing.
Unless you know exactly what they like, better leave the decision to the hiker/traveler. But smaller, day-hike backpacks are much safer gift ideas:
Do you like staying in touch with your beloved hikers when they are out and about?
What about watching the photos they take? Then make sure they don't run out of power! Check out this awesome solar charging banks to help your travelers keep their electronic devices charged:
And as we are in the realm of electronic gadgets and tools - let's see some awesome hiking watches, shall we?
Most of them can be beneficial for all fitness activities, with GPS and variety of useful tools in them. Some of them monitor heart rate, count steps and provide important info while on a trail.
They have features useful for outdoors aficionados, like altimeters, barometers or digital compass.
Check them here:
When we are around electronics, let's not forget cameras!
I can't even imagine hiking without a way to take photos. If you are looking for a camera suitable for a backpacker, you need a high-quality compact camera.
I can highly recommend the one I'm using - Sony rx100 m3 but there are a few others worth mentioning:
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 V
- PANASONIC LUMIX ZS100
- Canon PowerShot SX730
- Olympus TG-5 Waterproof Camera
- GoPro HERO5
Many people use their smartphones to take photos - to enhance their power you can get this awesome clip-on addition:
Haven't found what you were looking for? No problem, here are eight more from the department of gear, electronics and hi-tech for travel and hiking :)
Christmas Gift Ideas: Camping Gear
If you loved one (or you) enjoys camping, there are many wonderful gifts to give on your horizon!
From tents and sleeping mats, through camping lights to camping kitchen. So much fun stuff to make your hiking and camping friends happy!
Let's begin with gifts related closely to camping itself - tents and sleeping items and their accessories.
TENTS. If you know that your friend is hoping to upgrade his or her tent to an ultra-light one, you might like these ideas:
- Big Agnes - Copper Spur HV UL Tent, 2 Person
- MSR Hubba Hubba NX Tent
- The North Face Triarch 2 Person Tent
Are you looking for something bigger, suitable for family camping or car escapades with friends?
This could serve as a subtle hint that you want to be included in their next camping trip... Just saying :)
See them here:
SLEEPING PAD. Can't you stand seeing your loved ones sleeping on some thin foam pad?
Get them something ultra light, comfortable and insulating from the ground!
There is nothing better - Therm-A-Rest is the best out there. You can choose the insulating XTherm (for cold, winter weather) or a regular one.
And while we are at it - get this tiny and light Mini Pump - it's a perfect companion!
SLEEPING BAG. Now, that we have a shelter and a sleeping pad it's worth taking care of a light and warm sleeping bag. To get the best weight to warmth ratio, we should go with high-quality down.
Let's see a few options for female sleeping bags:
Good sleep provided, we can move onto the second most important thing: food.
Cooking in the wilderness is a true art and every hiker has their own hacks and ideas.
But there are some really cool camping gadgets and tools to make cooking easier, safer and/or more fun while camping.
A cooking set is a perfect idea when you are not sure what items they need. They can choose to use the whole thing or pick and choose whatever they want on a particular hike.
Get them here:
Another great idea is one of those stoves on steroids. They are stoves, pots, and windshield in one providing fast cooking time no matter the weather.
Get them here:
If you want something smaller - you can't go wrong with the ultralight MSR Pocket Rocket 2
Is your loved one a coffee lover and a hiker?
Getting a good cup of java when wandering out in the Great Outdoors can be a difficult task. Here I give you a few Christmas gift ideas to melt the heart of any coffee lover!
Check those amazing coffee makers here:
- AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker
- GSI Outdoors Personal Java Press
- Cafellissimo Paperless Pour Over Coffee Maker
What would be a camping kitchen or a hiking trip without a good knife?
Personally, I am not a big fan of multi-tools. They might be useful around the house or in a car but for backpacking are too heavy and rarely used.
- Helinox - Chair One
- Sea To Summit Aeros Pillow Ultralight
- LifeStraw Personal Water Filter for Hiking, Camping, Travel, and Emergency Preparedness
- MSR Groundhog Tent Stake Kit
- Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Compression Dry Sacks
- Kindle Paperwhite E-reader
- All-New FIRE HD 10 Tablet
- Black Diamond ReVolt Headlamp
- MSR SweetWater Microfilter
- Sawyer Mini Water Filtration System
- Goal Zero Lighthouse Mini Lantern
- Hydro Flask 32 oz Double Wall Vacuum Insulated Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- Snow Peak Hotlips Titanium Mug
Haven't found what you were looking for? No problem, here are eight more from the camping department:
Christmas Gift Ideas: General Travel Items
Things in this section will satisfy almost everyone. Some are perfect during a plane flight or a long bus ride, some during a daily commute or short day trips.
Let's start with bus rides, plane flights and traveling around - we all need good travel gear and gadgets;-)
- Trtl Pillow - Scientifically Proven Super Soft Neck Support Travel Pillow
- Zero Grid Electronics Travel Organizer
- LeanTravel Compression Packing Cubes Luggage Organizers for Travel W/ Double Zipper (3) Set
- Deuter Wash Center II (a toiletry bag)
For fast carry-on travel, everyone needs a sturdy and packable luggage.
Check a few wheeled options:
- Osprey Ozone 22"/46 L Wheeled Luggage
- SwissGear Meyrin 20" Expandable Spinner Suitcase
- Eagle Creek Tarmac 22 carry-on
- ... and the best carry-on backpack (perfect for those long South-Asia or Europe trips!): Osprey Packs Porter 46 Travel Backpack, Mineral Teal, One Size
Most of us travel during our time off while working or studying most of the time.
A good commute backpack is a great Christmas gift idea!
I have the Osprey Questa and I am really happy with it - perfect for the daily commute but comfortable enough for short trips out of town.
- The North Face Borealis Backpack
- Osprey Men's FlapJack Backpack, Black, One Size
- Osprey Questa Daypack
Haven't found what you were looking for? No problem, here are eight more ideas from the general travel department:
Christmas Gift Ideas: Hikers, Campers, and Travelers at Home
What do the travelers, hikers, and campers do when they are back home?
They dream, plan, and surround themselves with things that remind them of the places they'd seen (or hope to see)!
Let's get some inspiration this Holidays for future hikes and travels!
- Lonely Planet Europe (Travel Guide)
- The West Highland Way: Official Guide (Long Distance Guides)
- America's Great Hiking Trails: Appalachian, Pacific Crest, Continental Divide, North Country, Ice Age, Potomac Heritage, Florida, Natchez Trace, Arizona, Pacific Northwest, New England
- Thru-Hiking Will Break Your Heart: An Adventure on the Pacific Crest Trail
- John Muir: Nature Writings: The Story of My Boyhood and Youth; My First Summer in the Sierra; The Mountains of California; Stickeen; Essays (Library of America)
- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
- World's Best Travel Experiences: 400 Extraordinary Places
- The Bucket List: 1000 Adventures Big & Small
And for the very end - some sweet and cute travel-related ornaments, decoration or jewelry.
- Bear and Mountain, Hiking Couples Necklaces
- Mountain Climber Ice Pick Axe Cufflinks
- Mountain Rock Climber Pendant Charm
- Scratch Off World Map Poster, Track Your Adventures!
- Rite in the Rain All-Weather Side-Spiral Notebook
- Watercolor World Map Wall Decal
- Brewster 4-050 World Map 4 Panel Mural
- Something special - unique painted canvas slip-on shoes, many of which are travel-themed: UIN Slip-ons
Haven't found what you were looking for? No problem, here are eight more Christmas gift ideas from travel and hiking-themed decor and jewelry:
I think I run out ideas... ;-) But I am sure you could find something among these Christmas gift ideas!
Share with me which items did you like the most? And which ones do you want for yourself? :)
I was kidding with all that "run out of ideas" - here are EIGHT more for you! :D
Are you telling me that you really haven't found anything of interest here? Well, there is always the gift card, right? :)